- Counselling is confidential.
- Counselling is free (you do not need to show your OHIP card).
- Appointments are available Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Evening appointments may be available upon request.
- Appointments are usually scheduled every two weeks.
- Bus tickets are available if you don’t have a way to get to counselling.
- Childcare is available upon request.
Accompaniment & Advocacy
- Staff from the Centre can go with you to the hospital if you have been sexually assaulted. You can get medical attention for any injuries as well as testing and treatment for STI’s. If you choose, a forensic examination can be done; this is used to collect evidence of the assault from your body.
- You are in charge of whether you if you decide to report to the police. Hospital staff will NOT contact the police unless you want them to.
- Staff from the Centre can go with you to the police station if you wish to report a sexual assault or childhood sexual abuse.
- Staff from the Centre can go with you to court if you are going because of a sexual assault or sexual abuse.
Important Things to Remember
- Your body belongs to you. You decide what happens now.
- If you were sexually abused or assaulted, it is NOT your fault.
- Tell someone you can trust. You can always tell someone at the Sexual Assault Centre, She will believe and support you.
- You are not alone:
- More than 1/3 of Canadian women experience at least one incident of sexual assault during their adult life. *
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 7 boys will be sexually assaulted before the age of 18.*
- 85% of assailants are known to the victim and 60% of sexual assault occurs in the home.* The perpetrator could be a date, a partner, a sibling, a parent, a caregiver or anyone in the community.
- You deserve to heal from being sexually abused or assaulted. Help is here for you.
- Counselling can help you figure out what you want to happen in your life and make a plan to work towards it. You deserve a full and happy life.
* Stats from the Ontario Women’s Directorate of Ontario